Exposing Seams

I think too much about clothes. I question why we wear them and what we consider clothing, as opposed to undergarments. I notice what people are wearing, and my favorite thing to know is what someone’s favorite piece in their closet is. I wonder about clothing in painting, sculpture, and film. I do not shut up about how well-dressed people in Amsterdam are, and how much I like my friends’ style in Mexico City. I think about what to wear and what it says about me. I am in constant battle with the preppy. I force my dad to watch fashion shows with me and try to explain to him why something “ugly” is cool (the latter happens nearly daily, to anyone). I ask myself, “Where does style come from? What makes a piece cool?” And most recently, “Why should you care what I have to say about fashion?” 

In reality, you shouldn’t. I am not a prophet of the fashion gods — just a big fan. I am, however, hoping to start a conversation about fashion. There are necessary dialogues to be had surrounding Choate’s culture around clothing relating to self-expression and as a manifestation of the School’s economic landscape. I want to talk about our relationship with clothing from an artistic and social perspective in an effort to democratize fashion at Choate. Give me the benefit of the doubt and feel free to disagree. 

Why “Exposing Seams” though? Let me explain. The title of my column references the work of the one and only Martin Margiela, a household name in fashion history. He is a Belgian anti-fashion designer who created Maison Martin Margiela in 1989 and is someone whom I deeply admire. Through his body of work and house codes, he revolutionized fashion as an art form and left a lasting impact on how we understand the meaning of clothing. His collections featured clothing that evidenced the process of making it, referenced historic elements and memories, told stories, and had a deconstructive aesthetic. Margiela also literally revealed the seams in his clothing: something I can only hope to do metaphorically. “Exposing Seams” is a nod to Margiela’s philosophy and my attempt to reveal the inner workings of the fashion world: the people, the impact on the environment, and the meaning that hides behind the seams. 

I am thrilled to have an outlet for productive brain dumps and to fully nerd out on fashion. In honor of the first article in my column, I invite you to wear something weird. Have fun! Peace out.